Ever dreamed of being an archaeologist?
Come join us for a season on the Bethsaida Excavations Project and set your inner archaeologist free!
No matter your age, profession, or education, you can help bring history to life during the Bethsaida Excavations Project.
You will discover more than the ancient past. At the Bethsaida Excavations Project we make friendships that last a lifetime. Many of our staff and volunteers return year after year as they value the rich community that has formed around this project.
2017 Session Dates
Here are the dates for the 2016 dig. Sessions fill up fast, so register now!
- Session 1: June 4 to June 17
- Session 2: June 18 to July 1
- Session 3: July 2 to July 15
Note: Excavations conclude on the final Friday of the session by 1:00 PM.
Work days at Bethsaida are Monday through Friday. A typical work day looks like this:
- 5:30 a.m. Daily work begins
- 9 a.m. Breakfast at the site
- 1 p.m. Lunch at the kibbutz
- 4:30 p.m. Lab works “pottery reading”
- 7 p.m. Dinner
- 8 p.m. Lecture
Volunteers and staff stay at the air-conditioned cottages at Nof Ginosar Holiday Village nestled on the western shore of the Sea of Galilee or at the Hakuk Balev tucked into the rolling hills nearby. Both offer breathtaking views and amenities are available for all participants.
Clinics and a hospital are available in the town of Tiberias, a few miles away from Ginosar.
Participants will stay at Kibbutz Ginosar. In 2016 the costs were as listed below. We hope to have costs for 2017 shortly.
By Tier and Duration
|Tier||Day||1 week||2 weeks|
*Note that triple and double room rates are per person. Prices reflect progressive discounts of $20 for each week of participation.
- Full reimbursement until March 31, 2017
- Cancellation fee of $100 April 1 to 30, 2017
- No refunds after May 1, 2017
- Breakfast on site; lunch and dinner at the hotel
- Transportation from the airport one time at the beginning of every session
- Transportation daily to and from the site
Please note that all participants must arrange for international health and personal insurance coverage through their own universities and carriers. The participation fee includes a laundry service done once a week.